This morning I joined a Facebook group on the topic of syncretism between Odin, Shiva and a few others. There was a question posted about the possible connections between Odin and Papa Legba. Papa Legba (along with Baron Samedi and Maman Brigette) has been a favourite of mine for years. I’ve never really thought of this before and I am very new to Odin, so this is pretty much all UPG/PG so don’t take what I have to say as written in stone…
Similarities…Papa is usually depicted as an old man wearing a wide brimmed hat (generally straw) and using a crutch or cane; Odin is generally depicted as an old man wearing a wide brimmed hat, carrying a staff. The Dog is scared to Papa; Wolves are sacred to Odin. I believe Odin has been considered a gatekeeper between that lands of the living and dead; Papa is the Gatekeeper and the Voice of God…and I feel the runes of Odin can tie into the Voice of God….Odin is now smiling at me rather mischievously…I’m thinking I’m on the right track, haha! I think the association of the wanderer is a connection between the two as well.
Yesterday was the Celebration of Life for my cousin Mark who was tragically killed while at work a couple weeks ago. I’m not ready to write about it yet but I wanted to record a few notes on the day before they slip my mind.
- On the way to the ferry I asked An Mórrígan and Odin to be with me and give me strength. I started to ask Odin if He was with me, then changed my mind, decided to trust and just asked that He give me strength and if it wasn’t too much trouble if he could give me a sign that He was about. A minute or two later I saw a Bald Eagle sitting on top of an old farm building. A minute after that my Mom spotted a pair of them which I managed to see also before we drove past.
- A good 15 minutes down the road I saw a young Golden Eagle, sitting on a road sign if I remember correctly, a very nice clear view since He was so close to the car.
- It began to rain heavily just before the service started, as if the skies were weeping for Mark
- During the service there were some major technical glitches with the slideshow, both my Father and I both said it was Mark messing with things, it’s totally something he would do.
- He was most definitely with us
- About an hour into the drive back down to Nanaimo to catch the ferry I saw a VERY large Raven sitting on top of a conifer. This pleased me immensely
- The Seas were particularly calm on the way home, this seemed significant, not sure why
- I was VERY glad my Husband convinced me to bring our Son. He helped me and everyone else deal with the grief.
I will be writing a full post on Mark and his passing. Just not sure when.
I’m not sure of I dreamed it or if I actually heard the Barred Owls hooting away last night. Either way it made me happy.
For inspiration and support…
47. Young was I once, and wandered alone. And nought of the road I knew; Rich did I feel when a comrade I found. For man is man’s delight.
49. My garments once in a field I gave
To a pair of carven poles; Heroes they seemed when clothes they had. But the naked man is nought.
50. On the hillside drear the fir-tree dies,
All bootless it’s needles and bark; It is like a man whom no one loves, – Why should his life be long?
52. No great thing needs a man to give,
Oft little will purchase praise; With half a loaf and a half-filled cup
A friend full fast I made.
Wishing all a blessed Solstice.
Posted from WordPress for Android